B.E./B.Tech. DEGREE EXAMINATION, APRIL/MAY 2010
Computer Science and Engineering
CS2203 — OBJECT ORIENTED PROGRAMMING
141303 - OBJECT ORIENTED PROGRAMMING
(Common to Information Technology)
Time: Three hours Maximum: 100 Marks
Answer ALL Questions
PART A — (10 × 2 = 20 Marks)
1. Write a C++ program to check whether an integer is a prime or a composite number.
2. What is the difference between a class and a structure?
3. Write the difference between realloc() and free().
4. Give the purpose of gets and puts function.
5. What happens when a raised exception is not caught by catch block?
6. Give the syntax of a pointer to a function which returns an integer and takes arguments one of integer type and 2 of float type.
7. What is visibility mode? What are the different inheritance visibility modes supported by C++?
8. Write the rules for virtual function.
9. Give the meaning of the flag ios::out.
10. What is a C++ manipulator?
PART B — (5 × 16 = 80 Marks)
11. (a) (i) Write a C++ program to multiply two matrices and print the result. (ii) Explain inline functions with an Example program
(b) (i) Explain the concept of pointers with an example program written in C++.
(ii) How is function overloading different from operator overloading.
12. (a) (i) What are the copy constructors and explain their need? (8)
(ii) Explain the syntax of operator overloading. How many arguments are needed in the definition of an overloaded binary operator? Give an example.
(b) Explain friend functions with an example.
13. (a) Write a C++ program to create a base class called house. There are two classes called door and window available. The house class has members which provide information related to the area of construction, doors and windows details. It delegates responsibility of computing the cost of doors and window construction to door and window classes respectively. Write a C++ program to model the above relationship and find the cost of
constructing the house.
(b) Write a C++ program to compute the square root of a number. The input value must be tested for validity. If it is negative, the user defined function mysqrt() should raise an exception.
14. (a) What are abstract classes? Write a program having student as an abstract class and create many derived classes such as engineering, science, medical etc., from the student class. Create their object and
(b) Consider an example of book shop which sells book and video tapes. These two classes are inherited from the base class called media. The media class has command data members such as title and publication. The book class has data members for storing number of pages in a book and the tape class has the playing time in a tape. Each class will have member function such as read() and show() in the base class, these members have to be defined as virtual functions, write a program which models the class hierarchy for book shop and process objects of these classes using pointers to the base class.
15. (a) Write a program which copies the contents of one file to a new file by removing unnecessary spaces between words.
(b) Explain various file stream classes needed for file manipulations.